Business Tailor is a collaboration of 3 Universities and 6 Colleges, all of whom are committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of information provided by the users of our website and all personal data will be processed strictly in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) . The data you supply in this online form will be used by Business Tailor for the purposes of providing you or your organisation with business support services and for producing statistics and reports for Business Tailor’s funders and auditors. Your data will be entered into our customer relationship management database and may be shared with the partners in Business Tailor to source the services you are seeking. By completing the online form you agree to these uses and the sharing of your business and/or personal data for the purposes outlined above. Business Tailor will not disclose your personal data to any other person or organisation unless we are legally required or permitted to do so by the Act.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”) the data controller is Edinburgh Napier University, Sighthill Campus, EH11 4BN.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
1. Information that you provide by filling in forms on this website www.businesstailor.org.uk (the “Website”);
2. Details of applications you make through our Website;
3. If you contact us, including via our online enquiry service, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
4. Details of your visits to our Website and the resources that you access;
5. We may ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes although you do not have to respond to them;
Use of visitor statistics
When you visit our Website our systems automatically collects information about your computer, including where available your IP address (a unique number assigned to your computer when you are using your browser on the internet), operating system and browser type to monitor customer traffic patterns and website usage.
This statistical data does not contain any personally identifiable information about you or any of our users. It is used to enhance the design and layout of the Website making it easier to navigate.
These statistics are very much like television ratings that tell the networks how many people tuned in to a particular programme. We only use this type of data in aggregate i.e. we look at the data collectively, in summary form, rather than on an individual basis.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
Uses made of the information
The information you have given us will be stored on our computer systems and used in the following ways:
1. Marketing: In order that we may keep you informed by post, email, telephone or other electronic means of the news, events or services that may be of interest.
2. Web statistics: To improve the service to our clients and to analyse our Website's use without identifying you as an individual.
3. Market Research: From time to time we may ask you to take part in research surveys to assist us with improving our service.
4. Processing enquiries/applications made by you.
5. To carry out our obligations to you, such as notifying you about changes to our terms and conditions.
Disclosure of your information
Subject to the exceptions set out below, we will not disclose your personal information to third parties including other constituents of Edinburgh Napier University unless:
1. Required by law; or
2. Your consent has been given.
We may disclose your personal information:
1. To comply with any legal obligation e.g. search warrant, subpoena, court order.
2. To protect the rights, property, or safety of Business Tailor or others (this includes exchanging information with companies and organisations for purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction).
3. To investigate reports of users sending material using a false email address or users sending harassing, threatening, or abusive messages.
4. To protect against misuse or unauthorised use of our Website.
5. During emergencies, e.g. when we believe someone's physical safety is at risk.
Accepting this statement acknowledges that we will not be responsible for damages you or any others may suffer as a result of the disclosure of your personal information in accordance with the above.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing a response
If any information we hold about you is incorrect please let us know by e-mailing email@example.com and we will correct it.
Even the best policy cannot protect your online privacy and security in all circumstances. Your best protection is to understand the limits to privacy on the Internet and use common sense in all of your online activities. Be aware that email is an inherently insecure form of communication. Remember that in extreme cases third parties are sometimes able to intercept your unencrypted messages.
Edinburgh Napier University is concerned about the security of your personal information particularly when using our Website. Although we have taken all reasonable security precautions, we cannot guarantee internet security and subsequently cannot guarantee that any information you input on our Website is totally secure. In addition to our online security efforts, we have taken steps to protect your personal data offline as well. All of your information is restricted to our offices. Employees are granted access on a need-to-know basis and are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices.
Your control over your personal information
At any time you can withdraw permission for the use of your personal information. This can be done either by ticking the OPT-OUT or UNSUBSCRIBE link contained in all Edinburgh Napier University web communications, or alternatively, by sending an email requesting this to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
Enquiry, Application and Alumni Process
If you wish to enquire or apply to Edinburgh Napier University you will be asked to submit your details into our customer databases. When you do this you will be registered to receive e-newsletters and other email communications from us. You can unsubscribe from this by emailing email@example.com with REMOVE in the subject line.
We also have a press news list which you can join. To unsubscribe from this list email firstname.lastname@example.org with REMOVE in the subject line.
We maintain a database of our alumni and proactively keep them engaged about our alumni services.
How to contact us
By writing to:
The Governance Officer (Data Protection & Legal), Edinburgh Napier University, Sighthill Campus, EH11 4BN
Last updated: May 2012